In 1551, St. Ignatius Loyola, the founder of the Society of Jesus, opened a "School of Grammar and Christian Doctrine free of charge" in Rome. Within a short span of time, it became the Roman College and in 1556 started conferring academic degrees according to pontifical norms.
It moved to new premises constructed by Gregory XIII on the Piazza that became synonymous with the College: Piazza del Collegio Romano. In 1873, Pius IX gave the College the title of the "Pontifical Gregorian University" which since 1930 has been located at Piazza della Pilotta, 4.
At the dawn of the third millennium, the Pontifical Gregorian University wants to continue its longstanding tradition, taking its place at the crossroads between Church and Society, faith and culture. Being its specific bent that of serving the universal Church by teaching and researching the Sacred Sciences together with other related disciplines.