Library Classification System
The Pontifical Gregorian University Library has developed her own system to classify books and periodicals. The Book Classification System is composed of:
- 910 general subject areas indicated by a number included from number 1 to number 910;
- many sub-subject areas indicated by the number of related subject area (1 - 910) and by one or more alphabet letter.
For instance the subject area "Canon Law" is indicated by numbers 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 e 85:
- 80 -- General and Western Canon Law. Generalities and History
- 81 -- Oriental Canon Caw
- 82 -- Canon Law. Generalities and the Clergy. Roman Curia
- 83 -- Canon Law: Consecrated life and Laity
- 84 -- Canon Law: Sacraments, Sacramentals, Indulgence
- 85 -- Canon Law: Various other issues
Each of the above mentioned subject areas is composed of sub-subject areas.
For instance the subject area 84 -- Canon Law: Sacraments, Sacramentals, Indulgence is composed of some sub-suject areas, such as:
- 84 M -- Marriage: generalities, treatises
- 84 N -- Marriage: impediments
- 84 P -- Marriage: dispensation from impediments. Pauline's privilege
- 84 Q -- Marriage: assent, form
- 84 R -- Marriage: trials
- 84 S -- Marriage: other issues
- 84 T -- Marriage: annulment of marriage. Divorce
The classification codes can be used as search keys in the OPAC.
The Periodicals Classification System is composed of 27 general subject areas marked by the alphabet letters.
- A -- Culture and information
- B -- Library Sciences
- C -- Theology. Ecclesiastic disciplines in general
- D -- Canon Law. Law. Moral
- F -- Philosophy