The Pontifical Gregorian University's Library was founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola in 1551, together with the Collegio Romano.
It is an internationally recognized, prestigious cultural institution, particularly in the areas of culture, theology, philosophy, and literature.
Its original site was located on the slope of the Campidoglio.
After its confiscation by the state in 1872, the Library's 45,000 volumes, manuscripts, and archives were dispersed and partially expropriated by the Vittorio Emanuele II National Library of Rome.
The present-day Library, built in 1928 at its new site in the Pontifical Gregorian University is organized in metal shelves that are capable of holding 800,000 volumes arranged within a six-floor tower of books. Six reading rooms and 400 seats are available to the Library's users.
For more information about Library History (in Italian) cfr..