The Roman College, founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola, welcomed the first sixty students on 23 February 1551. At that time, it presented itself as an institution eager to offer its students a humanistic education and to promote in them a spirit of dedication to the Lord in his Church. It was on October 28, 1553, when the first theology lesson was held, that the University was in fact inaugurated: under the expert guidance of Fr. Jerónimo Nadal, a pedagogical project began to take shape, understood as a path of philosophical and theological studies, capable of guaranteeing a solid formation for future ordained ministers.
In 1582, Gregory XIII took on the task of developing and expanding the University, giving it a new seat.
In 1814, when Pius VII re-established the Society of Jesus, he wanted the Society to be once again entrusted with the leadership of the Roman College. This happened with Leo XII in 1824.
Later, because of the expropriation of the Collegio Romano by the State, the University moved to Palazzo Borromeo (the current Collegio Bellarmino).
With the construction of the current seat (1930), the Gregorian experienced a significant increase in academic activity, as evidenced by the growing number of teachers and students.
After the Second Vatican Council, the order of studies in force is that of the Apostolic Constitution Sapientia Christiana of John Paul II (1979).
Government: The Dean, assisted by the members of his Council, presides over the Faculty. He convenes at least twice a year the Faculty Council, composed of representatives of teachers and students.
Cycles: The curriculum of the Faculty of Theology comprises three cycles:
- The first cycle (three years) presents an organic vision of the data revealed in its essential lines,
- The Second Cycle (two years) offers 5 specialized licensing programs,
- The Third Cycle is dedicated to PhD research.
First Cycle: those who intend to enroll in the First Cycle, and those who are already enrolled, refer to the Moderator of the First Cycle.
Departments: The departments of the Faculty correspond to the areas of teaching of the Licences. Each Department is led by a Director. He has the task of accompanying the students of his own License in the enrolment and verification of the studies. He also welcomes the enrolment of candidates in the Third Cycle.
From the moment of enrolment in the Second and Third Cycle, the students turn to the Director of their own Department to establish the specialization courses to be followed.