Access to the Library is allowed for institutional users and for those who can present a letter of surety that indicates the subject of their research and the need to use the Library resources.
Before entering, users shall deposit their personal belongings (bags, backpacks, folders, umbrellas etc.) in the appropriate lockers. It is not allowed to introduce food and drinks and it is necessary to follow the rules of behavior provided.
To access the Library institutional users have got the University ID issued by the General Secretariat at the time of enrollment at the University, while external users can request the following types of Library cards at the Entrance Desk, depending on the period of use desired:
- daily, at a cost of 10 euros and with the deposit of a valid document
- weekly, at a cost of 20 euros with a deposit of 10 euros
- monthly, at a cost of 40 euros with a Photo ID Card
- quarterly, at a cost of 60 euros with a Photo ID Card
- Annual, valid from September to July at a cost of 160 euros with a Photo ID Card; the entire teaching staff and all students of the URBE Network (Roman Union of Ecclesiastical Libraries) may benefit from a 50% discount
The entire teaching staff and all the students of the Pontifical Biblical Institute and of the Pontifical Oriental Institute , as well as the students of the Pontifical Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies, benefit from a free pass upon showing a valid document attesting membership to one of the above-mentioned institutions.
Participation in a guided tour of the Library and its services is strongly recommended to new members of the University, and it is compulsory for the external users and for those who have not attended it in the last three years. The guided tours are held every Tuesday at 14:00 and, during the months of October and November also on Fridays, at the same time. One can sign up filling the online form.
The Library is open to the public Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. and on Saturdays from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Certain reading rooms observe specific hours:
- Ancient and Rare Collection Room: Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and from 2:00p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Art and Periodicals Room: Monday-Friday from 8:30 am to 6:00 p.m., Saturdays from 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
The Book Request and Distribution Service is active from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and from 2:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., on Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. The Ancient and Rare Collections accept requests only from Monday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and from 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.