Since 1551 at the service of the Church and the World
The origin of the Pontifical Gregorian University dates back to 1551 when Saint Ignatius of Loyola, together with a small group of Jesuits, established in Rome a “free school of grammar, humanities and Christian doctrine”. This institution was called the Roman College and, in 1873, by the will of Pope Pius IX, took the name of the Pontifical Gregorian University.
In 1928, Pope Pius XI wanted to associate the Pontifical Biblical Institute and the Pontifical Oriental Institute to the Gregorian University. From that time on the three institutions have cooperated together in teaching and in research, facilitating the exchange of professors and students as well as access to their libraries.
Committed to the pedagogical tradition of the Society of Jesus, the Gregorian University focuses on excellence in studies, complete formation as well as a human and spiritual growth for each student. We dedicate ourselves so that every student can be a protagonist of a “Church which goes forth” and, at the same time, can answer in depth and with spirit of service to the many challenges of today’s world. Among those challenges are integral human development; the scientific and technological evolution; the interreligious dimension of contemporary society; the problems of family; migratory flows; ecology and the care of our common home; safeguarding.
As a University entrusted to the Society of Jesus, we accept the exhortation of our Vice Grand Chancellor, Fr. Arturo Sosa S.J., to make each university a “source of reconciled life”.